Gonzalo Mucientes Sandoval
Research Centre in Biodiversity and Genetic Resources, CIBIO
Campus Agrário de Vairão, 4485-661, Vairão (Portugal)
Research fellow in Research Centre in Biodiversity and Genetic Resources (CIBIO-InBIO, University of Porto), and PhD candidate under the supervision of Dr Nuno Queiroz. My research is focused on understanding the behavioural mechanisms underlying the ecology of predator movements. I am currently working in the biology, ecology and behavior of pelagic sharks (mainly short fin mako Isurus oxyrinchus, and blue shark, Prionace glauca) under fishing pressure, which are target of Spanish longliners. I worked in Centro Tecnológico del Mar – Fundación CETMAR, and I am also involved in several research projects on fisheries management, sustainability, conservation, evaluation and selectivity.
- Behaviour, critical habitat and fisheries interactions of pelagic sharks in the North Atlantic Ocean. CIBIO, team members: Nuno Queiroz, David Sims, Nicholas Humphries, Gonzalo Mucientes
- PELAGICS: Structure and movement patterns in populations of the blue shark Prionace glauca
- The importance of environmental context on behavioural and habitat use patterns of satellite tracked pelagic predators: implications for fisheries interactions
- Global Shark Movement Project
- Tracking Trans-Atlantic Movements, Habitat Preferences and Fisheries Overlap of the Shortfin Mako Shark
- Sim, David; Gonzalo Mucientes; Nuno Queiroz. (2018) Shortfin mako sharks threatened by inaction Science, 359 (6382): 1342
- Corrigan S, Lowther AD, Beheregaray LB, Bruce BD, Cliff G, Duffy CA, Foulis A, Francis MP, Goldsworthy SD, Hyde JR, Jabado RW, Kacev D, Marshall L, Mucientes GR, Naylor GJP, Pepperell JG, Queiroz N, White WT, Wintner SP and Rogers PJ (2018) Population Connectivity of the Highly Migratory Shortfin Mako (Isurus oxyrinchus Rafinesque 1810) and Implications for Management in the Southern Hemisphere. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution 6:187
- Ana Veríssimo, Íris Sampaio, Jan R. McDowell, Paulo Alexandrino, Gonzalo Mucientes, Nuno Queiroz, Charlene da Silva, Catherine S. Jones, Leslie R. Noble (2017) World without borders—genetic population structure of a highly migratory marine predator, the blue shark (Prionace glauca) Ecology and Evolution, 7 (13): 4768–4781
- Nuno Queiroz, Nicolas E. Humphriesa, Gonzalo Mucientes, Neil Hammerschlag, Fernando P. Lima, Kylie L. Scales, Peter I. Miller, Lara L. Sousa, Rui Seabra, and David W. Sims (2016) Ocean-wide tracking of pelagic sharks reveals extent of overlap with longline fishing hotspots Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 113 (6): 1582–1587
- James S. E. Lea, Bradley M. Wetherbee, Nuno Queiroz, Neil Burnie, Choy Aming, Lara L. Sousa, Gonzalo R. Mucientes, Nicolas E. Humphries, Guy M. Harvey, David W. Sims & Mahmood S. Shivji (2015) Repeated, long-distance migrations by a philopatric predator targeting highly contrasting ecosystems. Nature Scientific Reports, 5 (11202).
- Mucientes G., Queiroz N, Sousa L., Tarroso P., Sims D.W. (2009) Sexual segregation of pelagic sharks and the potential threat from fisheries Biology Letters, 5 (2): 156-159