Galician Small-Scale Fisheries
Collaboration agreement between the Xunta de Galicia and CSIC for analysis of data collected in the monitoring program of the coastal fleet of Galicia
The main objective of the agreement is the analysis of the data collected by the UTPB in the monitoring program of the coastal fleet to obtain the corresponding time series of the species under study. Likewise, the advice is contemplated by the scientific staff of IIM-CSIC technicians UTPB with the use of appropriate statistical techniques. Scientists at the IIM be responsible for the evaluation of an annual report where an update of the status of the time series including data recorded by the Technical Fisheries Unit Bajura (UTPB) from 1999 to the year immediately preceding the issuance will be presented report (inclusive). This analysis will include the main commercial fish species and ecological interest for the Galician coast: Conger conger, Dicentrarchus labrax, Diplodus sargus, Labrus bergylta, Loligo vulgaris, Maja brachydactyla, Mullus surmuletus, Necora puber, Octopus vulgaris, Platichthys flesus, Pollachius pollachius, Psetta máxima, Raja undulata, Scophthalmus rombus, Scyliorhinus canicula, Sepia officinalis, Solea lascaris, Solea senegalensis, Solea solea and Trisopterus luscus. The information derived from these analyzes is aimed at obtaining a current assessment of the state and evolution of resources and fishing activities and provide the Consellería do Mar (CM) suitable for management tools with the ultimate aim to ensure the sustainability of artisanal fisheries .
Within this agreement is further contemplated a series of secondary objectives to be carried out by the research team from IIM-CSIC:
Analyze the synchronicity between population trends of the species and its correlation with different environmental variables and the particular vital characteristics of each species.
Study of changes in the coastal community exploited by the Galician coastal fleet from species composition of catches. This involves the study of the structure of the community and the temporal evolution and spatial distribution of different biodiversity indices estimated from the full database of UTPB capture.
Study of the spatial and temporal patterns in population biological parameters (eg size) for species of special interest to the coastal fleet of Galicia.
Study of the dynamics of the activity of the coastal fleet of Galicia, specifically fishing effort at different spatial and temporal scales, which will produce a robust idea of the distribution of the fleet and fishing effort along the coast as well as understanding the temporal patterns
For this purpose the following specific objectives to develop the IIM arise:
- Objective # 1. Develop procedures for statistical analysis to study the database of the UTPB and get the corresponding time series of abundance indices for monitoring major coastal fisheries of Galicia.
- Objective # 2. Analyze the synchronicity between population trends of the species and its correlation with different environmental variables and the particular vital characteristics of each species.
- Objective # 3. Study of changes in the coastal community exploited by the Galician coastal fleet from species composition of catches.
- Objective # 4. Study of the spatial and temporal patterns in population biological parameters for species of special interest to the coastal fleet of Galicia.
- Objective # 5. Study of the dynamics of the activity of the coastal fleet of Galicia, ie fishing effort at different spatial and temporal scales.
- Objective # 6. Dissemination of the analytical techniques used to obtain time series of abundance indices between technical staff UTPB.
- Objective # 7. Advice to the CM on the status of populations and on the biology of fishery resources analyzed. This objective will not conduct further analysis beyond those involved in the above objectives (1-6).